Indexed Universal Issue
An Indexed Universal Issue Policy is a flexible life insurance product with benefits that last until the client passes away, with the cash value tied to investments and accumulating over time. The main advantage for policyholders is the ability to take advantage of the upside of the stock market while being protected from the market’s downside.
Upon the insured person’s death, the beneficiary receives a lump sum of cash. This type of policy provides death protection plus savings (or cash value). The amount of money dedicated to death protection is based on the age and health of the person, as well as the face amount of the policy.
The main advantages of an Indexed Universal Issue Policy are:
- The ability to pay more into the policy than the cost of insurance (COI), because the remainder is invested — creating tax-deferred cash value.
- There are no contribution limitations, hedging risks associated with retirement savings.
It’s important to know that there are usually four different charges deducted from the cash value of an Indexed Universal Issue Policy:
- Premium Load Charge = assessed each time a premium is paid
- Monthly Charge per $1,000 of Death Benefit = only assessed for the first 10 years
- Annual Expense Charge = usually nominal
- Monthly Cost of Insurance per $1,000 of Death Benefit = the mortality charge associated with providing the policy’s death benefit (and the only charge scheduled to increase each year)
Why Agents Offer Indexed Universal Issue Policies
Just as Indexed Universal Issue Policies aren’t the best fit for every client, they aren’t always the best fit for Agents. Consider these questions:
- Are these plans beneficial for the people in your community and the areas you serve?
- Do you offer similar/competitive products?
There are many compelling reasons to offer Indexed Universal Issue Policies, such as:
- You can help families with some of the most difficult decisions of their life
- You can provide your clients with peace of mind, as they will know they have a health plan behind them
- You’ll be serving the needs of your clients and community
- You can offer a profitable product that will help your bottom line
How to Get Started with Indexed Universal Issue Policies
If you decide to offer Indexed Universal Issue Policies, we recommend talking to someone from the Medicare Advisors team of experts. They’ll provide answers to your questions, and have tools available to support your new product offering.
Ready to get started
Get in touch, or register for access today